- Schedule a showroom appt.
- Inspiration Gallery
- Tile & Stone
- Events & Trainings
- About Us
- Contact Us
Owner, David Bender’s maternal great-grandfather, Sam Lewin started New Haven Plumbing Supply with two other gentlemen in 1921 after returning home from WWI. One of the founding members, Ike Liveten still has family members on the BENDER team: his grandson and two great-grandsons.
Sam & Alice
In the late 30’s, the original founders of the business separated and Sam started Lewin and Sons in West Haven, CT. Sam’s daughter, Alice Lewin, worked for her father, where she met Jack Bender, an employee of the family company.
Alice & Jack
Alice Lewin married Jack Bender in 1942. After returning from WWII, Jack started selling war surplus materials, which evolved into a business and in 1946 was named Bender Plumbing Supply, originally located at 88 Dixwell Ave in New Haven, CT.
The Bender Kids
All of the Bender children worked at the family business at one time or another. It was Jack’s policy as it is David’s now, that his children begin in the warehouse and worked their way up. (Pictured from top left to bottom right: Judy, Norman, David and Lois)
The New Haven location moved to 550 Grand Ave, New Haven due to Mayor Lee’s redistricting of the city.
David opened the second location in Waterbury, CT. (Picture taken in 1990’s.)
As design became more important to homeowners, the standard selection process of your plumber choosing your fixtures became extinct. Wanting to provide homeowner’s with design choices from countless Kohler products, showrooms were opened in New Haven and Waterbury.
A showroom and parts counter open in Bridgeport. In addition to plumbing supplies, kitchen cabinetry and stone became a focus.
The Hartford showroom and parts counter open and HVAC supplies are added to the wholesale lineup as builders and contractors express their need for reliable heating and cooling supplies.
Stamford & Norwalk
A counter opens in Stamford, supplying plumbing and HVAC products to Fairfield county, along with a counter and showroom in Norwalk, formerly known as Pacific Baths.
The New Haven parts counter moves across the street to a much larger facility. Plans to build out a multi-level, 20,000 square foot showroom goes underway. The company name, Bender Plumbing Supply, also gets a makeover and officially changes to BENDER.
The finishing touches are made to the new 30,000 sqaure foot, multi-level facility in Norwalk featuring lighting, decorative plumbing, tile and stone. (BENDER team pictured from left to right: Lorraine Lindsay, Marzanna Butryn, Karen Fragomeli, Max Bender, Susan Flechner and Tom Moffett.)